Monday, December 10, 2012

Before the curtain closes

Lately I've been revisiting my teenage years and have gotten back into Newsies. As a teenager, I loved this movie! I followed the actors for probably 10 years into amazing careers. I followed four of the guys onto the Nickelodeon show, Roundhouse which I also came to love.

One of the most tragic of stories is that of one of the most talented actors from Newsies. Dominic Lucero. Amazingly talented guy and, as I've read and heard, an all around amazing guy. In 1993, he was diagnosed with lymphomic cancer. He passed away July 1, 1994 barely 2 months before his 27th birthday.

The amazing thing to me is that 18 years after his death, his fans are still out there keeping his memory alive. It amazes me constantly the number of lives one person touches. The memorial pages, blogs, tumblrs, youtube memorials and all else on the internet amazes me. They all make me cry, but that's another story.

I've been dreaming about Dominic lately. Only one really made sense. I know he has been on my mind lately, but the volume of the dreams is getting weird.

The most recent dream involved the 3rd season of Roundhouse. The morning I had this dream I was watching Roundhouse in episode order. (I bought the series off ioffer.com.) I was looking for the final 3 episodes he appeared in during season 3. I decided to take a nap and I had this dream.

I was watching the show which happened to be season 3 and I think I was in the audience. I don't remember specifics really. I just saw a lot of dancing and singing. It was really the set and all that went with it.

Somehow I got to what looked like a movie theater and was standing in the lobby. It turned out this was where the show was filmed. (Yeah, not really, but it was in my dream.) It was flipping back and forth to me going to the movies and me seeing Roundhouse. That part was weird. But suddenly, I was there for Roundhouse and I was standing in the lobby. Dominic was heading off to the studeo and looked like he did in season 1. He looked happy and healthy. He was wearing the outfit he wore during the Conflict episode in season 1. He walked by me and I said, "Hey, Dominic. It's good to have you back.  He turned, smiled and said, "Thanks." Then he continued on.

That was it. If there was more, I don't remember it.

The other dreams were sort of fragments.

The first one I had was sort of like Kevin's behind the scenes of Newsies. He was just walking around. Except here it looked like he was rehearsing for something.

The other dream I don't really remember, but I know he was in it. I think it was more of the first dream. He was there, but there wasn't a purpose to the dream. He was just there somewhere.

I finally did see the final 3 episodes he appeared in and about cried watching his final episode. The first episode he was in during season 3 was with him sitting in the audience. Ivan ran out into the audience during the credits and pointed him out. He looked so different. Then when he was in the actual show, I realized he really did look different. A result of his treatment maybe? His voice sounded strained. The way he walked even looked as if he struggled to make it across the stage. I was about in tears by the credits.

I want to know the story behind this so badly. Why did he come back when he was so sick? I love that he did, but why?

I wish I hadn't become a full-fledged Dominic fan after he was gone. I liked him and missed him in the day, but I wish I'd come to love him like others have for the last 20+ years before now.

RIP Dominic. We still love and miss you.

No comments: